Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Shake what your momma gave you.

My normal interpretation of this phrase (aka my usual Hip-Hop Head state) is that of people dancing and moving around with the body you were given by grace of your parental gene pool. Nights out with friends dancing my ass off at the Cardiff or any place we happen to roll into after one of our elongated pre-party sessions. But tonight it's more like a wish for strength to shake off things that have been said by my mom. I feel as if every time I reach a moment where I feel happy and excited for the future, if she disagrees with it, she has no choice but to tear me down. It's like she finds the one way to take the wind out of my sails right as I am leaving the safety of her harbor. I have experienced this many times in my life and I'm surprised I haven't found a better coping mechanism at this point. I know that when she has those moments it is up to my mood at the time to be able to either handle it or let it get to me. Last night she caught me completely off guard. I wonder if she knows the effect her words have? The worst part is, I usually get irked by the things she says because there is always truth buried in what she says. In this case it's hard for me to distinguish the truth from the rest of the things she told me. That's probably what makes me the most uncomfortable with this particular instance. I heard what she had to say and I wasn't able to pick out the truths from the rest of the anger/concern she displayed. Not because I haven't seen or thought of them myself, but more of a self-realization that she is right and I have been overlooking them. 

Background music: Here I Dreamt I was an Architect - The Decemberists

No comments:

Post a Comment